- Conservatism is defined by Webster as "in favor of preserving the status quo and traditional values and customs." I think in order to fully understand this definition it would help for you to know what 'status quo' means. Status quo is termed by Webster as "the condition or state in which a person or thing is or has been." You can find a more thorough treatment of conservatism and its attitudes here.
- In my opinion, when you consider the definitions above and relate it to American society and government, the application would be to value and preserve the ideals that the Framers of the Constitution and Founding Fathers of America possessed. It is to cherish the truths "that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, that to secure these rights governments are instituted among men."-Declaration of Independence
- It is to honor God. "God who gave us life gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God? "-Thomas Jefferson
- It applies to Christianity in that God and the Apostles urge Christians to preserve the way of living and morality that God has ordained. The Bible compels and exhorts us to "earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints" Jude 3 and Also to "stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.." -Jeremiah 6:16 Truly God's way is only and best way!
- Furthermore the Bible tells us in Proverbs 22:28 "Remove not the ancient landmark, which thy fathers have set." Now, in Biblical times a landmark was a boundary line as indicated by a stone or other monument that was erected to mark the separation of fields, territories, and nations. In today's vernacular it means a distinguishing fact, an event, idea, or item that represents a significant or historic development. If we consider the facts, ideas and events that made America great and the ethical foundations upon which it was built, I believe you would come to the conclusion that these "landmarks" are worthy of preservation and practice.
- America was built and founded upon Christian morals and Biblical principles. It behooves us to search out these principles and apply them to our lives, because one day we have to give an account to God on how we managed his statutes and commands. Conservatism is more than a mindset of a political party, it was the codes and standards, ordained by God, that shaped America into the land of the free and the home of the brave. We would do well to adopt these standards and declare with the wise that "Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people."-Proverbs 14:34
There are many that will inquire at the meaning of conservatism and how it applies to Christianity and to us as indiviuals, here's the answer: